Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sighisoara

It was finally time for the much awaited (by me, of course) medieval festival of Sighisoara. Three days a year when you can travel back to another time and dress accordingly, 3 days when dancing in the street is not only acceptable but recommended, when you can drink, laugh and be merry just like, well... the good ol' times ;>

This is old Vlad's house, dressed for the occasion. It is now a restaurant-hotel.
The old clock tower and the street leading down to it: Queuing for kurtos kalacs, as we do each year. Thsi year's wait was surprisingly short, it didn't even reach half an hour.
Me, getting ready to devour my kalacs.
A newly discovered Romanian band which I absolutely loved. Great for the abovementioned dancing in the streets :> Listen to the song below for a sample.
The audience of a play in the small square:Italian flag jugglers. Very impressive, too bad I couldn't see much (sucks being short!). These are the only decent shots I could take.View from a little side street I had never been on before . It's amazing how I discover new streets and views every time.Some more pretty sights:And now for some interesting specimens of humanity.
This is a body builder whose clothes looked like they were about to burst. He looked disgusting, and his woman-thing was no less scary. That satchel really completes the whole outfit!
A sorcerer eating icecream. I wonder if he was willing to disclose the alchemic secret of making ice in summer, and flavoured ice at that!The gypsy woman who insisted on telling my fortune (and then insisted I buy her a beer, lol). Apparently I am lucky and fiery, there is someone who loves me, but he is abroad, I will live 88 years and will have two children. Bahtalo!
Now if that's not the very picture of the beautiful inn keeper I don't know what is! All waitresses at this pub were dressed like this, but none pulled it off better than her.

The cathedral lawn has always been the place where metalheads congreate. Fewer of them this year, but it still brought back a lot of memories (yes, young ones, been there, done that!)

And finally, a bit of local wit:

Anton Pann - Nu mai poci de ostenit
Asculta mai multe audio Muzica »

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pics, fantastic music, and so bloody far away. Wish the one that loves you abroad would get his act together. Love your outfit..you look so nice :) Lots of love doll, Mamamia (SG)

Anonymous said...

Man it is sooo funny that some thing I said is now being heard all ova tha world. "friggin pony" haha I crak myself up. Haha I love the look on your face in the body builder picture, I cant help but wonder, why put baby clothes on a giant. Keep Having fun Anca :D

-Jethro

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND, HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. BIG HUGS TRUDI

Anonymous said...

oh i think i should have said happy nz birthday, i just seen your blog is your day and time.....It's July 30th, 11:25am here.
Trudi

NeMe said...

Yah Jethro, u're famous now, man! Hope u're having fun too. How's the band going? :>

Anonymous said...

WOOHOOO! happy birthday for five days ago sorry for being a bit late. The band is going well we have finished and perfected 5 songs created by yours trully. Cant wait till your next blog.
C u later HAAPEEB IRTHDA YANCA

-Jethro